Friday, May 06, 2005

Happy Mother's Day

I remember growing up how mad it used to make my father when we would make a big deal about Mother’s Day.

As a child, it mystified me. I always thought to myself, "What's not to like?"

We would get up and cook breakfast, serve it to her in bed (complete with flowers cut fresh from the neighbor’s garden), clean the kitchen, our bedrooms and then the rest of the house. In short, we were cherubic caricatures of perfect children.

Some years, Dad would just scowl and walk out in disgust. But as we got older, I learned what the problem was. He was furious that we would only think to treat her that way one day a year. The annual kindness shown by us only highlighted for him how much we neglected her the other 364 days.

It was tough to hear then, but I really appreciate the sentiment now. The fact is, second to our good health, Mother’s have the highest value:appreciation ratio.

Let’s all resolve to bring the Motherhood V:A ratio in our own lives more into balance during the coming year.

No comments:

Subscribe in a reader