Thursday, June 30, 2005

It seems like only yesterday

My wife and I have been married for 22 years this weekend.

I'm tempted to say that it seems like only yesterday that we met and began dating, but that's not true at all.

The truth is that I don't really remember what it's like to not feel totally as one with this magnificent woman.

What was it like to be alone? I can recall the times, the dates and the places, but it's like recalling an old episode of Hogan's Heroes. I remember the details, but it's not like it was really me.

Trying to explain her worth and importance is an exercise in understatement. Nothing I can say or write will do justice to her value. It's like saying "I really love my lungs. I couldn't do without them."

Actually, it's more like saying this:

Rebecca,

You stole my heart.

You are my life.

Without you I am nothing.

Yours forever,

Ben


From the Steve Martin movie The Jerk:


Navin: Marie, are you awake? (Marie is sleeping).........

I know we've only known each other four weeks and three days, but to me it seems like nine weeks and five days.

The first day seemed like a week and the second day seemed like five days and the third day seemed like a week again and the fourth day seemed like eight days and the fifth day you went to see your mother and that seemed just like a day and then you came back and later on the sixth day, in the evening, when we saw each other, that started seeming like two days, so in the evening it seemed like two days spilling over into the next day and that started seeming like four days, so at the end of the sixth day on into the seventh day, it seemed like a total of five days.

And the sixth day seemed like a week and a half.

I have it written down, but I can show it to you tomorrow if you want to see it.

Anyway, I've decided that tomorrow, when the time is right, I'm going to ask you to marry me, if that's o.k. with you.

Just don't say anything.

You've made me very happy.

No comments:

Subscribe in a reader